BUTE KILLS ZIMBA IN THE UK

the n'anga
A  Zimbabwean woman has died after she took a fatal dose of bute administered during a healing ritual in the UK.

Sophia Jekecha who was having stomach problems collapsed after suffering a "toxic trauma" from the nicotine..

Lyndon Nindi, a mental health support worker who moonlighted as a herbalist has been jailed.

Nottingham Crown Court heard that Miss Jekecha’s stomach pains had not been resolved by treatment from her GP and her mother arranged for Nindi, 49, of Kinross Drive, Newcastle, to travel to her daughter's Aspley home and paid him £90 to cover the cost of his train fare and a further £150 was to be paid after the treatment.

But Miss Jekecha died after snuff was given to her to inhale and in a glass of water and to her body.

Mitigating, James Horn said the defendant did not foresee that his actions administering snuff subjected her to risk of harm beyond making her vomit as part of a traditional healing process. He did not recognise his behaviour was dangerous.

He was taught to use snuff by an experience spiritual healer. The court heard vomiting purged any spirits inhibiting the body.

Nindi, who practiced as a traditional herbalist and offered his services to the Zimbabwean community, was jailed for two years concurrently on charges he had pleaded guilty to of her manslaughter and administering poison or a noxious substance - the nicotine - to endanger life.

Judge Gregory Dikcinson QC said Nindi- did not intend to kill her or intend to cause injury to her.

However, he said: "As I understand it you have never had any formal or systematic training in this as to what is involved, as to what the benefits may be and what the risks. You took on a responsibility for Sophia and were being paid for it, so this had a commercial element and was not entirely an altruistic act."

Ms Jekecha leaves behind an 18-year-old daughter who is now being cared for by other family members.

0 comments: